Monday, February 24, 2014

Master Builder: Part 1

If you've seen my Kanban board in my last post, you would have noticed that I have a LOT of stuff on my hobby table.

I have a good number of projects that I've managed to move over to the 'Prepped for Painting' section. But for some reason or another I'm just not in the mood to continue to the next stage and paint. Instead I've been building like a man possessed. I will split my next few posts up over the next number of days as there are a lot of photos.

BFG: Grand Cruisers



First on the list are my 2 Imperial Grand Cruisers. These models were pretty hard to put together. It could be due to the age of their molds but the components of this model do not fit together well at all. There were massive gaps particularly between the prow (front), middle section and the stern (rear).

There was a lot of green stuffing and pinning involved.





Not only that, I magnetised the crap out of both vessels so that I have the flexibility of using all 3 variants namely the Avenger, Exorcist and Vengeance Grand Cruiser.

Like so:

Avenger

Exorcist

Vengeance


I drilled two holes on the main body and inserted 2 6X2mm N52 magnets. These are the strongest grade you can get at this size. These magnets are for the placement of Imperial Navy weapon platforms. I also placed 4 tiny 1.5X1mm mangets on the top sections. These are for Chaos weapon platforms. You need both to create the variants above.

My intention is to paint one in the same colour scheme as my Imperial Navy fleet while I will paint the other black as an Inquisitorial Black Ship.

With this in mind I decided to differentiate the ships slightly by borrowing an unused control tower from my Chaos Despoiler Battleship to replace the stock component on one of the vessel. This one change completely transforms the profile of the ship.

Only difference is the control towers on top


Assembled and magnetised
 I'm really impressed with these models. They are way bigger than I imagine. Nearly as big and imposing as an Emperor Class Battleship.

Man I can't wait to have all my BFG stuff assembled and painted.

Anyway that's all I have time for tonight.

The Emperor Protects :P

No comments:

Post a Comment